Grim Misadventure #112: A New You

Welcome to Grim Misadventures, the number one source of the latest leaks and peeks into Grim Dawn’s development.

First, a word on the upcoming Hotfix for V1.0.0.8. This hotfix does include some code changes that require more extensive testing, and so it has not arrived in the typical posthaste fashion. In addition to bug fixes, the hotfix will also include some balance tuning based on how 1.0.0.8 shook out. Stay tuned in the coming weeks.

Now as to expansion news, we’ve hinted last week that this GM is going to be a big one, and we intend to deliver. The last big one we had involved a certain Inquisitor mastery, so you know we’re not kidding around. While the second mastery coming with the expansion remains a mystery to this day, there are other exciting aspects to the expansion that we’ve yet to unveil…until now.

Today, we are ready to unveil the expansion’s major new tech feature. Are you ready for this?

Any guesses?

Last chance!

We are pleased to announce that a new Service NPC is coming to Grim Dawn with the upcoming expansion: the Illusionist!

Now, what does an Illusionist do exactly? Why, for a modest fee, the Illusionist will transform your gear to look like any other item of the same category! A little coating of illusionist dust will do just the trick.

Using proprietary Illusionist mind-meld technology, any item you discover will automatically have its appearance stored. In fact, the first time you launch the expansion, every item you have in your inventory and stash will be automatically added to start your collection. That’s a lot of different looks!

To facilitate your soon to be growing collection, we have created a brand new UI that stores and previews all of your appearances, accessible at any Illusionist.

[Illusionist FAQ]

When can I start using the Illusionist?
As soon as you launch the expansion, new visitors to Devil’s Crossing and Fort Ikon will become available to you immediately. You will also encounter other Illusionists in expansion areas.

Their services are not restricted by level, though item level requirements are still respected. What this means is that a level 1 character may not use the appearance of a level 75 Legendary. Common quality items (exception: medals) do not have level requirements, so you can start using those right away!

How much do Illusionists charge for their services?
Illusionists do not work for free, but for a meager sum of Iron Bits, they will happily perform their services. The cost to apply an illusion scales with the character’s level.

Restoring an item to its original appearance is always free.

Are there any restrictions?
Weapons are restricted to the same animation category. What this means is that you cannot make a one-handed sword look like a two-handed axe, nor can you make a gun look like a mace or a shield look like a tome.

There are no restrictions on armor. If you want your tanky heavily armored soldier to wear caster robes, go nuts!

Whenever an item has an Illusion applied, it becomes Untradeable (it can still be placed in the Transfer Stash, but it cannot be given to other players). Restoring an item to its original appearance removes this restriction.

How does the Appearance Collection work across characters?
All of your characters share the same collection. If one character finds a new appearance, all of your characters automatically gain access to it.

This exciting new feature opens up huge opportunities to customize your character’s look, and we can’t wait to see what the community comes up with. To get your mental gears moving, here are some combinations that we’ve come up with:

Which one is your favorite? Any ideas already spawning in your head?

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 03/06/2017 for our next development update!

The place where the NPC is looks like a tropical forest. Expansion in Brazil confirmed.

But, damn, that looks sweet. I don’t think I’ll be using it a lot because it think that the look of you character is a important part of perceiving the progression and etc. But amazing none the less.

Waited all the day long!

Is this the way to have a zentai ?

Third? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Edit: fourth

Edit2: Well, can’t say I’m hyped over transmog coming to Cairn. But I guess I’ll get used to it. Probably a good thing.

Niceee…wow really nice…

WOW can’t wait!
Edit: my ugly Witchblade is ready for this!

@Zantai: What is the last update of the hint for next mastery?
Last GM, we were at “necrobloodpsycook” :wink:

PS: Is the illusion applied on an item or on an item slot? If an item, is the item soulbound? If not, can we trade item looks?

idsijcsj jkxskkcjjsck jsoj ji wjdicjsisickkcooxowi oxjsosix

I want the expansion right now. This look awesome.

well this is transmog, not a bad thing to have but…i wanna see the last mastery!!!

Really excited with this new feature !
Will it work with modded items ?

Thanks

Yes, I am sure you are quite eager to play the Necroblood class.

The illusion is applied to an item, making the item untradeable (see the faq in the update). You can easily share appearances though by dropping items with the desired appearances for your friends in MP.

Aren’t there new items in the screenshot as well ?
(the shield from the first UI screen at the very least)

Holy crap… JUST RAID MY FUCKING BANK ACCOUNT AREADY, CRATE!

I NEED this expansion… no, I CRAVE for this expansion!

Illusionist mastery confirmed :rolleyes:

Seriously, F-ing awesome :smiley:

Great work guys!

Called it.

People in Ugdenbog are actually friendlies

Btw i am not familiar with transmog. So no idea what i saw :undecided:

I did notice some new bad-ass shields

I think I spy 6 new items. Edit… more like 10

Gotta be honest, the characters look in grim dawn is pretty much the weakest point of the game, and the amount of difference items / stuff changing looks, is honestly completely superfluous. I am sure some people are happy about this, but I wont ever bother with it at all, this is not an MMO, it doesn’t matter what you look like. I hope you all aren’t losing time changing things or adding more items / monsters / mastery changes etc from this type of content.

Thank you! :smiley:

I have been hoping for this since the game came out. I regret throwing away some cool looking epics now though lol.