Roundup: State of TSS

Having worked on some (relatively) comprehensive feedback for Allagast and Iskandra in the past month, I thought I might as well dust off my old Skybreach Druid and do a roundup on the state of TSS – or TSS sets, at least.

To what end? Together with previous threads on Allagast and Iskandra, the overarching goal of my feedback is for each TSS set to gain effective gameplay and a distinct identity, so that:

• Their performance with Arcanist and TSS is equal or comparable to that of alternative masteries and skills.
  • Skybreach provides the most kiting-friendly setups, where wind devils provide RR and deal damage while TSS is in cooldown.
  • Allagast offers the most active gameplay, with a tight rotation of spammable Storm Box, debuffs and TSS.
  • Iskandra’s Unification can build around TSS as the centerpiece, without heavy dependence on other skills, devotions or item procs.

State of TSS

As things stand, I find that:

1. Trozan’s Skybreach works well in a few select setups: it’s powerful, if a bit punishing. Some defensive adjustments would be welcome. Notably:
    • add physical resistance, better cc resistance;
    • add movement speed.
  2. Allagast’s Masterpiece is a well-designed concept with fun gameplay, but the Arcanist half of the set needs a revamp. Currently, Mage Hunter is outclassed by other Inquisitor-based mastery combinations. To achieve parity:
    • add flat RR and higher aether damage to TSS;
    • move Deadly Aim modifiers to Maiven’s and improve them;
    • add physical resistance or healing.
  3. Iskandra’s Unification doesn’t measure up, and needs a substantial revision. Skybreach is better for TSS (it even works for double-cast, with Eternity) and non-TSS setups work better for aether-to-elemental play. Gameplay is clunky. To make the current design effective:
    • substantially increase TSS damage;
    • increase %WD to achieve useful values of lifesteal.

All sets suffer from two shared issues:

• They are fragile and hard to play, but don’t offer exceptional damage.
    This is particularly true in comparison to builds with lifesteal and higher armor or physical resistance.
  • TSS cannot stand on its own and is often relegated to a support role.
    Allagast and Skybreach can skip TSS and remain effective, but the same can’t be said for Storm Box and Wind Devils; Allagast in particular is pathologically more effective without Arcanist. Full Iskandra is heavily dependent on devotions and item procs and is outmatched by alternative setups without TSS.

TSS, set by set

Since both Allagast and Iskandra have dedicated threads, most of this OP covers Trozan’s Skybreach, which also happens to need the least work of the lot. To expand on the shared issues mentioned above, I’ll quote from a previous thread:

Notes on testing

I rely on Crucible as a main testing ground for reasons of time efficiency, ease of comparison, and enemy variety. Clearing times posted here are average of at least six runs with 3-4b+vb in Crucible of the Dead, with margins of 15-30 seconds on both the upper and lower end.

The builds linked for each set are not the only ones tested, but rather the most effective setups I could come up with and play in the time allotted. They are meant to be offensive, but not recklessly so.

I appreciate that the results of this approach are indicative rather than exhaustive.

Trozan’s Skybreach

As a dual-skill set, Skybreach works well offensively. Defensively, however, it hasn’t aged well. A Skybreach Druid lacks:

• healing of any kind, both burst and sustained;
  • stun, slow, and trap resistance;
  • physical resistance;
  • movement speed and casting speed.

For a fragile kiter, the combination of low movement speed, CC resistance, and physical resistance is particularly bothersome. Casting speed may seem unimportant, but it has a direct and very noticeable impact on ergonomy and survivability – how long would you like to stand still and wave your hands about while Reaper mauls you?

Improving Skybreach

Devotions and supporting items cannot cover all that’s missing, at least not without unpalatable sacrifices that are not asked of other builds. So, to make Skybreach more approachable without substantially altering its defensive profile, I’d consider the following changes, giving priority to the first two:

1. TSS: replace slow with 20-35% fumble/impaired aim for 2-3 seconds.

Slow on TSS isn’t effective for the simple reason that it doesn’t really come into play: bosses resist it almost entirely, while mobs (for the little they matter) tend to die on hit or soon thereafter… assuming they aren’t frozen already. As a modifier, it’s practically a no-op. :P

Conversely, fumble would offer immediate utility against heavy melee hitters, which are the most troublesome foes. Fumble might also make Wendigo Totems more viable for Skybreach druids, who are too fragile to hold their ground at melee range unaided.

1. Piece and set bonuses, two of:
  • Add 20-40% stun, slow, or trap resistance. Decrease Freeze resistance to 20-30%.
    I’d go with trap, since Allagast and Iskandra protect against stun and slow respectively.
  • Add 8-12% movement speed and, optionally, 10-15% casting speed.
  • Add 10-15% physical resistance.

Although Druids can find a good foundation for CC resistance in Maiven’s Sphere, Skybreach itself only improves upon Freeze, perhaps one of the least dangerous forms of CC (or, rather, one of the least frequently used by powerful enemies). A less skewed approach would ease the burden on devotions and external items.

On the subject of resistances, I’m not clear on the purpose of the 60% cold granted by the shoulder piece. Considering that most Skybreach setups end up with a cold resistance well over 150%, the bonus would be better split into 20% elemental or even 30% cold/lightning.

1. Piece and set bonuses: high health regeneration

Regeneration works well for kiters and is a good fit for Druid thematically. It’s also a somewhat neglected healing mechanism with little to no item support, a situation that exacerbates Bat monoculture among casters. Introducing some meaningful bonuses here and there would be nice.

Heed that this change would benefit Vindicators more than Druids, due to the regeneration bonus from inquisitor’s seal and the interaction with flat absorption, which causes small hits and DoTs to be absorbed before they can erode regeneration values.

Notes on supporting items

Two-piece Eastern set is unmatched due to the combination of skill bonuses, physical resistance, OA, and even that tiny bit of movement speed. The Final March blow a raspberry to legendary boots for the usual reasons.

Starfury Emerald offers a solid damage buff to TSS (the extra shard yields 10-15% more damage, depending on on how far you push Frozen Core), but resistances are so-so; I would considering turning cold/lightning into elemental and perhaps lowering the maximum resistance bonuses to 6%. CDR is also a possibility, although Skybreach doesn’t struggle with it.

In the off-hand, Rolderathis’ Tome feels better than anything else. The CDR is good for damage and makes for a tighter spell rotation, leading to better gameplay. The reduced target area might seem unappealing at first glance, but in practice you are shedding modest AoE to gain a more reliable single-target nuke.

Notes on devotions

The improved Giant’s Blood is effective with low CDR, but it’s hard trigger reliably without Blast Shield, which offers a 90% activation chance. Arcane Will only guarantees 29%.

The improved Dryad doesn’t look bad on paper, but is too expensive at 5-for-3 yellow affinity, at least for an elemental setup. Druid also doesn’t have that many attack skills to trigger devotions: the test setup is already stretched, and has to take totems just to trigger a devotion.

Bat remains hard to replace as the only impactful healing available on low CD.

Allagast’s Masterpiece

Reference thread: Revisiting Allagast
Test mod for my recommended changes: Allagast’s Crayons

Test setup: Plain Allagast Mage Hunter, 7:50 Crucible.
Compare with:

Despite offering some of the best caster gameplay I’ve found in GD, Allagast is suffering from an identity crisis which stems directly from skewed mastery support:

• On the Arcanist side, TSS loses DoTs entirely in exchange for a cold-to-aether conversion devoid of item support, while the extra damage and projectiles fail to offer enough damage, even with Starfury Emerald. The only global bonuses come from Arcane Will, an ineffective skill for a set that lacks some of the basics.
  • On the Inquisitor side, we gain spammable high-damage Storm Box with built-in RR, and global Deadly Aim modifiers for CDR and lightning damage.

(The history of Allagast is a fraught one: it originally supported Star Pact, but ended up as collateral damage in the great Spellbinder purge which saw the skill convert aether to cold. Following that, the Star Pact bonuses – already in awkward competition with Censure – were replaced by +7 to Arcane Will, while CDR and damage buffs were reduced and relegated to partial uptime through Deadly Aim.)

Fixing Allagast

As tested, a working solution would be to:

• Bolster TSS with flat RR, higher aether damage, and a global conversion to lightning which retains DoTs.
  • Introduce Maiven’s Sphere modifiers for CDR and damage. Scrap +7 to Arcane Will and Deadly Aim modifiers, which contribute to the primacy of unsupported masteries over Arcanist.
  • Add some physical resistance and/or a source of healing.

Iskandra’s Unification

Reference thread: Iskandra as a set for spammable TSS
Test mod for a potential redesign: Iskandra’s Purple Power, from the same thread

Main test setup: Proc-happy Mage Hunter, 6:50 Crucible.
Compare with:

• @Aersdri’s Invoker with 2-piece Iskandra and a comparable devotion setup. A bit faster, sturdier and easier to play.
  • @thejabrixone’s Elemental Bonemonger with a comparable devotion setup. Comparable times without banner, slightly sturdier and easier to play.
  • Jury-rigged mortars with 2-piece Iskandra, comparable times and slightly sturdier.
    With five supporting items and a less aggressive devotion setup, 22/19/13 Mortar Traps easily compete with Iskandra’s 26/22/22 TSS, while offering smoother gameplay and slightly better defenses. (I suspect this approach might work with quite a few setups, e.g. Cyclone, so long as you pick a well-supported elemental skill while maintaining 50% aether conversion and a damage bonus around 1800%.)
  • @John_Smith’s plain Ulzuin’s Shieldbreaker, based on a single-class set following a similar design. Over one minutes faster and again sturdier.

I find Iskandra perplexing, and I’d be happy to hear from playtesters about how the set is meant to be used, or about the goals for the recent redesign. From where I stand, Iskandra’s shortcomings can be summarized by three points:

• Converted devotions are the main source of damage, rather than TSS.
  • For TSS, there is no reason to play Iskandra over Skybreach, other than “it’s purple”.
    Despite being a dual-skill set, Skybreach offers stronger TSS than single-skill Iskandra: at equal if not higher damage per shard, the former can reach 5 shards on a 1.2s CD, whereas the latter can only find 4 on a 2s CD. With Eternity as relic, even the double-cast experience is comparable.
  • Modest ergonomy, due to overreliance on devotions and a hiccuping double-cast chance delayed by the shards’ travel time. Skybreach and particularly Allagast offer far more satisfying gameplay.

Improving Iskandra

Defensively, Iskandra now feels pretty solid. Offensively, it’s unfortunately overreliant on devotions.

The current design would work better if we turned TSS into a veritable nuke that heals against bosses as well as mobs. I’d consider the following:

• TSS: radius increase.
    Improving AoE would differentiate Iskandra from other sets, which work best with Rolderathis’ tome.
  • TSS: total damage modifier à la Ulzuin’s Chosen. Decrease aether-to-elemental conversion to 50%.
  • Adjust %WD to make lifesteal effective against bosses.
2 Likes

Feedback on v1.1.3.0

Briefly: the changes to TSS are fairly good, but the state of TSS sets has not changed.

TSS

• TSS: 3-4% higher damage through improved Shattered Star.
    Overall, I think TSS damage is in a good position after this second pass of straight buffs. Mostly it’s the sets that need updating.
  • TSS: 0.2m radius increase. (Like Skybreach.)
    A small but welcome change that addresses the frequent complaint of poor AoE.
  • TSS: up to 45% slow from Frozen Core. (Like Skybreach, but more.)
    A perplexing addition. Frozen Core now slows mobs… on top of freezing them, and assuming they don’t melt on hit. Bosses are largely unaffected: at rank 22, FC will apply some 5-13% slow depending on resistance.

Solid changes overall, except for the no-op slow on Frozen Core. (It’s practically unnoticeable in testing.) Also note that, regardless of utility:

• Skybreach already has a slow modifier that now overlaps with the global slow. Neither seem to accomplish much.
  • Allagast can’t really take advantage of global slow because it doesn’t invest in Frozen Core.

A more effective alternative would be to change global slow to global fumble, keeping in mind that Allagast can’t afford high ranks. Even so, I’m not persuaded that additional CC on TSS would suffice to address the defensive issues shared by TSS sets.

Skybreach

Skybreach, the only powerful TSS set, is now slightly more powerful. Its defensive profile remains outdated, but the set already works well as a glass cannon.

The recommendations from the first post still apply: fumble would work better than slow, movement speed is a bit too low, and better physical/cc resistances wouldn’t come amiss.

Allagast

• Storm Box: 1-2% damage lost.
    Nominally, Mage Hunter and Purifier are most affected, while Vindicator is less affected and Apostate is buffed. Practically, the difference should be unnoticeable (as tested for MH and Purifier only).

Allagast remains an Inquisitor set rather than a Mage Hunter set, and some individual attention is sorely needed: tweaking global TSS damage is not enough to compensate for the combined loss of Frozen Core, unsupported aether TSS, and heavily skewed modifiers.

In testing, Allagast MH needs TSS with RR and 15-20% more damage to be competitive with Purifier, Apostate and Vindicator from a purely offensive standpoint.

Recommendations from the first post/test mod still apply, with minor tweaks. I’ll add another, en passant:

• Take the damage removed from Storm Box and add it to Lightning Tether, which is seldom maxed and has limited AoE. (I like tethers.)

Iskandra

• TSS: 40% WD (up from 20%), 20% chance of double-cast (up from 15%).
    A net damage increase approaching 10%, depending on how heavily you invest in Frozen Core. Lifesteal is now noticeable against mobs.

Unfortunately, tweaking %WD is not a very effective approach to find the damage Iskandra needs to work in its current design.

To give you an idea of how far we are from a working solution, consider that granting TSS 200% WD per shard would still yield about 30% less damage than Skybreach TSS, with marginally better AoE. (I tested this in Crucible, and the times were as expected: still more than half a minute slower than Skybreach despite Seekers + Currents.)

If the goal of Iskandra is to be a sturdier, conversion-driven Skybreach with medium-CD TSS and the odd double-cast, I’d consider the following:

• A radius modifier. (Tested: 0.5m.)
    Further improving AoE would differentiate Iskandra from other sets, which work best with Rolderathis’ tome.
  • Damage, damage, damage. (Tested: 15% total damage.)
    TSS needs to be a nuke. The most straightforward way to find enough damage would be a total damage modifier à la Ulzuin’s Chosen.
  • Adjust %WD for lifesteal only. (Tested: 100% WD.)
    40% is noticeable against mobs, but higher values would start being effective against bosses. 100% WD with 9% lifesteal decidedly removes the dependency from Twin Fangs, but lower values should also work.

In Crucible, the indicated values result in clearing times around 7 minutes (3-4b + vb), with TSS becoming a fairly reliable source of healing.

I still maintain that low chances of double cast don’t work for TSS and that an alternative design would be more interesting, more fun, and more befitting a single-skill, single-mastery set, so for those who fancy them, the recommendations from Iskandra as a set for spammable TSS still apply.

1 Like

I agree with the general concept of this thread. I too personally have no issue with TSS having 3 sets, but would like to see a bit more variety between how they each feel.

I definitely like the idea of high enough %WD on Iskandra to TSS to make it an entirely reliant burst heal.

I am personally okay with the Allagast vs. Skybreach differences in terms of design, but agree that Allagast has issues down the TSS route and is more about just focusing on lightning box and skipping Arcanist all together.

I don’t particularly know what the Allagast Arcanist side needs.

Iskandra being the TSS set with TSS lifesteal sustain would be fine by me. Also turning one of the sets into an increased cooldown but nuke version of TSS would also be neat if implemented well.

Sorry, if necroposting, but this thread is just too good to skip.

Totally agree with OP’s suggestion to give Iskandra’s set a unique bonus of removing cooldown from TSS and make it cast-speed based skill, rather than CDR-based. I was suggesting it too quite a while ago, when Iskandra was only revealed in its current state.

Regarding Allagast, as it was mentioned multiple times, Inquisitor’s part is working perfectly, if not too good.
While, on the other hand, TSS without Frozen Core feels like an absolute lackluster. I tried bolstering standard Allagast setup with maxed-out AAR and a couple of supporting items (Aetherbolt Pendant and Aethereach), but it was clearly not enough. Sub-par survivability and far from stellar dps output as a result.
Personally I would love to see Allagast as 3 mastery set with Arcanist and Necromancer being “support” masteries to Inquisitor, providing some good passive bonuses – pretty much same idea as Bonemonger’s set.
This would allow much more flexibility to both Spellbinder and Apostate classes. Because I can’t say much about Apostate, while Magehunter can at least go full elemental, but Spellbinder in current meta has only ONE option. Which is AETHER. And there’s only a handful of spellbinder’s aether sets over there: Clairvoyant, Krieg and Agrivix.