The State of Early Access - Update #02

We are glad to see so many of you have enjoyed Farthest Frontier already. Your reception and support have been phenomenal and we thank you all for being with us on this journey so far!

Over the past two months, we have released 4 updates and respective hotfixes aimed at addressing the most pressing issues preventing you from having an enjoyable experience. Needless to say, we are just getting started!

Now you might be looking forward to v0.7.7, but who needs that when we are going straight to v0.8.0! Yes, our next update is going to be a big one. Today we wish to shed some light on what is in store for you!

If you have not had a chance to read our first State of Early Access, we recommend you check it out, as it not only reflects on some of what we have added already, but on what is still to come.

Weā€™d like to preface this preview by making it clear that this update is still very much a work in progress, and what you see can and will change. This preview is also not all-encompassing. There is a good chance we will sneak more changes in as we go. With that out of the way, letā€™s take a look at v0.8.0!

Table of Contents

New Decorations

New Tutorials

AI Improvements

Grocer Stocking

Desirability Info

Quality of Life

Balancing

Bug Fixes and Performance

When is the Update?

Town Showcase

As promised back in our first State of Early Access, a new batch of buildings is coming in v0.8.0. This assortment of decorations will give you new ways to beautify your cities and make them distinctly your own.

Enjoy Ornamental Trees, Flower Urns, Bench Plazas, new Fence types and more! In total, there are 12 new buildings, and thatā€™s not including their upgrades!

Your towns will also benefit from a new entertainment building in the form of the Festival Pole. This new structure comes alongside a rebalance of entertainment needs so you should find fulfilling your peopleā€™s desire for entertainment to be much more manageable.

Back to Table of Contents

New Tutorials

Weā€™ve heard your feedback that some of Farthest Frontierā€™s systems can be challenging for new players, especially those checking out town builders for the first time. While we already have a handy Game Guide, nothing compares to immediate assistance provided from within the game.

For this purpose, we are dramatically expanding the availability of tutorials within the game. Everything from Crop Fields and crop rotations to the Trading Post screen and building repairs is getting detailed information to help you familiarize yourself with the depth that Farthest Frontier has to offer.

To make sure everybody is on the same page, we will be resetting tutorials for everyone in v0.8.0.

AI Improvements

We are working on several improvements to villager AI, some of which may not be ready for v0.8.0, but there are two that will be available as soon as v0.8.0 goes into Public Playtest.

We have overhauled builder priorities so they handle build tasks more intelligently. This means that if a combination of roads/buildings/walls/upkeep construction occurs at the same time, builders will distribute themselves throughout these jobs until they are all completed.

Likewise, builders will be more efficient about handling road and wall construction sites, treating them as multiple build tasks rather than one large task that could sometimes end up with just one builder. This should result in roads and walls, and their respective upgrades, being built much faster than before.

Grocer Stocking

Grocers are the second bit of AI that you can look forward to already. Grocers are currently bugged in that they are not properly stocking the homes in their work area. This bug has been resolved in v0.8.0.

Not only that, we have upgraded their AI so they are better about not only stocking their markets, but also keeping nearby shelters stocked for all their needs, including food, firewood, water, soap, herbs, and luxury goods.

This means all your villagers will be spending less time stocking their shelters and more time performing the tasks you need them to be doing. This will also help in instances where a shelter has all of its inhabitants performing duties as guards or hunters and never stopping by their home to stock it, which in turn prevented the structure from upgrading.

Desirability Info

Desirability is one of Farthest Frontierā€™s central mechanics. You need to raise desirability in order to upgrade your shelters, which in turn not only nets you tax revenue but helps unlock higher town tiers.

Itā€™s a very important system, but one that was somewhat obscured in terms of providing you all of the, erm, desired information. With v0.8.0, we have updated the Shelter UI window to not only give you a breakdown of the desirability tiers necessary for upgrades, but the tooltip will give you a detailed rundown of every nearby structure that affects that shelterā€™s desirability.

No more guessing why your shelter isnā€™t upgrading or why itā€™s at risk of abandonment!

In addition to that, we have also updated the icons when placing new structures, so you can not only see the total desirability for each shelter, but also how much of an impact the new structure will have on them.

Combined, these two changes should give you everything you need to get those shelters upgraded to manors in no time!

Quality of Life

We always make an effort to squeeze in some quality-of-life changes based on player feedback wherever we can, and v0.8.0 is no exception.

You can look forward to these and more:

• Professions Window will preserve settings between reloads. This means that if you have a habit of reducing worker counts in various professions using that window, all of your preferred values will be maintained even if you save and load.

• The placement grid has been updated to be much easier to see, especially on overlays and snow.

• The Flatten Tool will be MOAR. We have taken the existing Flatten Tool and increased its power. Weā€™re sure even this wonā€™t be enough for the sculptors out there turning mountains into fortresses, but itā€™s definitely an improvement!

• Barns will generate Milk by default (the toggle for milking will be removed).

• In addition, cows will be able to graze on fields to improve their fertility. But be aware: cows will gladly devour any crops you have planted (watch out, deer, you have competition!), though savvy farmers will have clover ready for them to eat.

• Finally, barns will generate waste during the winter months, which can be transported to Compost Yards for additional compost.

• The builder cap of 100 will be removed. Send your laborers forth and pave over the frontier!

• Condemned buildings will be salvageable and relocatable. However, attempting to relocate a damaged or condemned building will add the repair costs to the relocation job, so no more avoiding building maintenance with relocation tasks! We are aware that there is currently no way to prioritize a building repair task, and we plan to add a solution for that. That said, changes to builder AI should help alleviate that somewhat.

• The Wall Tool has been updated with a Priority option. Coupled with the improved builder attention to walls, your defenses should be getting built in no time.

Balancing

Most every update is going to include some degree of balance changes, so you can look forward to some in v0.8.0 as well.

First up, weā€™ve been reading your feedback regarding raids. We have made changes to raider difficulty across the board. This means raids should be more manageable on Pioneer and Trailblazer difficulties. And, for the vanquishers out there, we have increased the difficulty on Vanquisher further. The hardest difficulty in the game has fallen behind over the past two months and we want to bring some of that challenge back!

Outside of combat, cows have received a nerf to their food generation. Barns used to have a number of bugs that made them unreliable food sources, what with cows vanishing into thin air and all. Since those issues have been addressed, barns have become a bit too potent. They will still be a powerhouse in v0.8.0, but not nearly as potent as before.

Entertainment requirements have been rebalanced and will be much more manageable. You will have a much easier time providing entertainment for your villagers with Theaters, Pubs, and the upcoming Festival Poles.

On that note, happiness bonuses have been rebalanced. Maintaining high happiness will actually net you improved work rate and combat efficiency!

Bug Fixes and Performance

Bug fixes and performance are an ongoing effort and youā€™ll be hearing about them throughout Early Access. No single update is going to be the magic bullet for all issues, but you can generally look forward to incremental improvements with every patch. For v0.8.0, here is some of whatā€™s in store:

• Optimized snow shaders for improved performance during Winter.
  • Fixed an issue where collapsing sections of building UI windows (ex. Storage or Items Produced In The Last Year) could cause the game to hang.
  • Fixed an issue where soldiers could end up wounded and then garrison the barracks where they would remain in wounded stasis.
  • Fixed an issue where soldiers would not drop their weapons when dying from non-combat causes. This also fixes an issue where raiders stealing arrows/bows/weapons would not drop them when killed.
  • Fixed an issue where building relocation build sites could become rotated from the original buildingā€™s facing.
  • Fixed an issue where saving the game after a late planting in a crop field and then loading could cause the harvest to be missed.
  • Fixed an issue where Breweries would display the ā€œNo Entertainmentā€ icon. Sorry, brewery tours are permanently cancelled.
  • Fixed an issue with laborers not correctly prioritizing soil mixture tasks. Previously, laborers would score soil mixture very low, resulting in the tasks almost never getting done.
  • Fixed an issue where traveling merchants arriving at the Trading Post would immediately leave.

When is the Update?

Thereā€™s no doubt you are wondering when v0.8.0 will be out. Thereā€™s a lot to unpack here and we want to make sure that what we put in your hands is as fun and bug free as possible. If everything goes smoothly, we expect to have v0.8.0 in the public playtest branch by the end of the month, with the full release in November.

For more information on public playtests, stop by the Playtester FAQ.

We hope youā€™re excited for Farthest Frontierā€™s largest (and still growing) update yet!

Town Showcase

Some of our recent favorites, from the internet for the internet:

20220905023645_1
By Tomiket

Showcase 02
By u/No_Party42

ff s2 5.PNG
By Eldodorat

Share your best creations in the Community Showcase right here on our forum!

50 Likes

Excited for all the updates! This keeps getting better and better. I look forward to the airing of grievances around the Festivusā€¦errrrā€¦.Festival Pole.

6 Likes

Looks great. Any news on how the production and storage management changes mentioned in the first state of early access update are coming along?

5 Likes

Well, finally it will be possible to graze cows in the fields! This is what I need.

But not a single screenshot of the new excavator tool.

It is depressing that they did not do anything with the tavern: they did not add a chicken coop, they did not add rooms for passing travelers.

1 Like

Would like to see options for setting minimum/maximum quantities for storages.

13 Likes

Exited to test new flatten tool!

1 Like

Sorry to ask you, but do you think they have unlimited resources and more than 24 hours a day?
Itā€™s not like these changes are not huge. Software development takes time.
They are still in EA, and there will be more Updates for sure.

5 Likes

If nothin went in but the Market fixā€¦ Iā€™d still love the updateā€¦ nothin more annoying than a glorified storehouse that takes a worker that doesnā€™t DO anything! lol

Thank you for the flatten tool upgradeā€¦ There was nothin more annoying that trying to flatten the same 4x4 space cause the one building i wanna build canā€™t be built on a tiny incline :wink:

I am kinda worried about the cow meat nerf but I guess weā€™ll see how it turns outā€¦ Once your town gets to 300-400 people they seem to eat ALOT of freakin food that hunters cabins(and lets not even mention fishing shack cause I think fishing just gonna be a meme in this game vs hunters) just canā€™t keep up even if you have alot of deer aroundā€¦ Iā€™m just worried that you lower it too much which means more cows which means more barns which means more farms which means more villagers to work themā€¦ itā€™ll just be a vicious circle but weā€™ll see

Excited with the new updates :pleading_face:

A quality-of-life feature Iā€™d like to see is the mass cancellation of tasks such as harvesting of resources I make by mistake. Iā€™d like to not click on every like sprout/bush individually.

3 Likes

Hold shift and drag

5 Likes

would like architecture blueprint and the editor;and the terrain brush is aweful.

Hey, 0.8.0 sounds good.

Any chance we could have the commerce centre to move its stocks in and out correctly in that version?

That would be really great!

Personally I was more afraid about lowering tallow and hides. Itā€™s the limiting factor for me usually. Meat is OK, always have a huge surplus.

Pole dancing! I look forward to seeing the strippers at the festival :rofl:

1 Like

Still very impressed by the pace and content of updates :astonished::exploding_head::clap::clap: looking forward to a bunch of stuff on here!

2 Likes

New update coming and keeps the game less challenging. So now this is the 2nd EA game I play that the developers are succumbing to players demand. I understand that there needs to be more things to do on the game in terms of playability and contents but why canā€™t you maintain your original vision of the game. I guess itā€™s better to buy a finished than EA because they donā€™t need to change their vision. Like Dawn of Man, it was released a finished game but supported it for more than a year and added contents. So they canā€™t be forced by any outside pressure.

Right now the game works good except some crop bugs, optimization and probably animation (needs more better ones). I have no problems with building roads or walls. I have no problems with repair nor any problem with abandon houses. I donā€™t mind a lazy grocers, the game is still working very well.

What will turn me off is the grocer update. Imo they can just optimize it but hey ā€œDonā€™t Let Them Supply housesā€. Let the villagers get their supplies and the grocers just take supplies from sources (storage, forager shacks, barns etc.). Why would grocers deliver necessities to the houses? If you canā€™t make the ā€œemployeesā€ stockpile their houses just place a +|- on the laborers that can go to Zero and problem solved. House upgrades will just run its course. When you do this upgrade patch itā€™s going to be another boring game in the end. Much less challenging.

graveyard still canā€˜t be removeļ¼Ÿ

2 Likes

I would wait for an update to draw my conclusions. You can always remove all grocers to solve problem and keep your challenging.

I really appreciate the building placement footprint being made more visible. This should help those of us with vision issues that make seeing the yellow on snow or yellow Autumn foliage a bit better, and it is ā€œneonā€ enough to make it stand out from standard green foliage.
(Next do the circles of influence, please?). :pleading_face:
I also appreciate the changes to the grocers- having them stock shelters when the residents are too young to stock them or those who are old enough to stock them are working jobs that keep them away from home for long periods. Hoping for improves work efficiency and productivity, not having people stop their work to suddenly stock their homes because they forgot to go to the store yesterday. Though I am also wondering if there will be a side issue of suddenly having houses starting upgrading all at once and overwhelming builders and production buildings (looking at you Saw Mills and the massive shortage of planks I always seem to run into at some pointā€¦)- though removing the cap on the number of builders should help with this.

One step at a time- itā€™s getting there. Donā€™t overwork yourselves devs- Crunch is not healthy or productive. Itā€™s hard to get things right if you havenā€™t slept in 3 days and are existing on gallons of coffee or Monster Energy Drink. :tired_face:

1 Like